How basf thickeners work? BASF ATTAGEL® inorganic thixotropic thickener/suspending agent Attagel® 50.
General purpose thickener for both aqueous and solvent-borne coating systems, can be used in flat and high-gloss paints.
Attagel®40: Thickeners for aqueous coating systems, mostly for flat lacquers.
Provides thixotropic thickening and regulates the flow of the paint
Prevents sagging and builds up thick layers of paint
Prevents paint splashing during coating (roll-on)
Prevents pigment deposition by creating a suspension effect
Improves liquid stratification of paint, resulting in uniform appearance of paint
Inert to microorganisms, salts, mild acids, alkalis and extreme temperatures
Stabilizes systems for longer storage life (bacterial, enzymatic and chemically inert)
Inorganic: improves color strength, coverage and water repellency
Hydrophilic :Easily dispersible in polar systems
Compatibility :Applicable to different ranges of Benmin formula
Powdered :Easy to work with other systems, easy to disperse
Moderate price : Reduces overall cost
Application in emulsion paints Attagel® inorganic thixotropic thickeners can replace some cellulose thickeners
– When using fiber thickeners, paints lack good leveling, gloss, control of paint splash and may suffer from enzymatic degradation due to bacteria.
– Attagel® thickeners can maintain a stable coating consistency, improve coverage and color strength, improve storage stability and reduce costs.
2. Attagel® inorganic thixotropic thickeners can replace some synthetic polymer thickeners
– When synthetic polymer wax thickeners are used, coatings have problems such as liquid delamination, pigment settling, lack of coverage and color strength.
– Attagel® thickeners can improve the liquid stratification of coatings, help pigment suspension, improve coverage and color strength, and reduce costs.
3. Co-thickening principle
– Attagel® inorganic thixotropic thickeners are usually not used alone, but generally used together with cellulose thickeners and synthetic polymer thickeners to achieve results.
– Cellulose thickeners should be used at a level of no less than 0.25% to maintain the freeze melt stability of the coating and to produce the proper viscosity.
– As a general rule, four to five parts of Attagel® inorganic thixotropic thickener must be added for every part of cellulose thickener or every four to five parts of synthetic polymer thickener taken from the extraction section.
4. Emulsion paint formulation guidelines
– Disperse Attagel® inorganic thixotropic thickener with high shear
– Add at the grinding stage
– Attagel® pre-gel can be used for low shear systems
– Typical use level is 0.5% – 3.0%, including thick coating applications
– Excessive additions may affect the gloss of the coating
Leave a message
We’ll get back to you soon